So one of my goals to accomplish before I turn 30 is to stop drinking caffeine. I have been drinking soda since before I can remember. My mom always had a soda with her and I would drink whatever she had as a kid when I was thirsty. In the last year, my addiction has become so bad that I have stopped drinking any other drink and only drink soda. That’s right, no water, juice, or even tea! I was told by a doctor many years ago that if I didn’t stop drinking soda I would cause myself to become diabetic. This is not an option. I have to take better care of my body, after all, it’s the only one I’m going to get! (Unless they develop a robot that can run from my brain and live forever. In that case, I’m switching bodies every time a newer model comes out…like a car!)
I can say right now that I am almost there! I have been caffeine free for the last 4 days without too many withdrawal-y (that is totally a word!) symptoms. Even my husband is impressed with how well I am doing. So here is my method for kicking the habit:
- Start alternating regular soda with caffeine free and stop drinking tea.
- Once you are used to 1/2 the caffeine intake from alternating, start drinking only caffeine free until you absolutely need a regular soda to curb a headache.
- Once you are drinking only caffeine free soda, start alternating between the soda and water.
- Once the withdrawal symptoms have vanished, continue increasing your water intake and stop drinking the caffeine free soda.
- Finally, Drink only water.
Now I must admit, I am currently only on step 3. I am still drinking caffeine free soda, but I drink far less than I used to. So the next step for me is to get back to drinking water. Hopefully in the next week I will be able to officially cross #24 off my 30 Before 30 list!